Newer versions of SonarQube have stopped supporting MariaDB and you may need to switch to MySQL instead. While I’d rather use MariaDB, I understand that it is not within the supported matrix. Therefore I am documenting the steps here. The steps are focused on RHEL 7 (they probably would work on Centos 7 as well, but I did not test it).
Before start with this process, shutdown your SonarQube instance as well as any other analysis that may access the database.
The first step is to use mysqldump to create a backup of your MariaDB database:
After the backup is complete, shutdown and disable your MariaDB instance:
systemctl stop mariadb;systemctl disable mariadb
Then install MySQL 5.7 from Software Collections. The process is documented on this page. These steps are for 5.6, however, you can just replace 56 with 57 in all the steps and the result is the same.
With the new MySQL 5.7 installed and running, create the database:
In the MySQL sheel recreate the database with the same credentials and permissions as the old one:
I have been on a intense session of C/C++ hacking lately and one of the things I came across is this interesting StackOverflow topic about how to colorize the GDB output. There are plenty of tips there, but since I prefer vanilla GDB, I just stick to the first one and downloaded a customized GDB for myself.
Although man pages are essential for anyone doing serious work on Linux and other Unix-like operating systems, it’s hard to advocate for them as being user friendly and easy to read. Therefore, evangelists invent all sorts of things to spread knowledge about their favorite tools and technologies: tutorials, e-books, videos, etc. There’s even a coloring book that teaches how SELinux works. Now we have one more addition to the mix: fanzines. If you like them, this website has some very interesting and funny zines about programming, debugging and Linux in general.
I have created Fedora packages for OpenPHT, a community-driven fork of the Plex Home Theater client. The packages can be download from this link (I plan to propose adding the RPM specs to the main project, but before doing so, I would like to make sure they are working as expected).
The build instructions, for those interested in reviewing or rebuilding the package can be found in this gist or in the RPM spec file.
Today I decided to reorganize my GitHub repository. In the past, I added a lot of learning projects there and as time passed by, it was growing considerably. Since I currently have some work-related projects there, I thought it deserved some reorganization.
My idea was to consolidate some of the larger projects I had into a single repository where each component is a sub-module of the project. This was a rather natural choice because most of those projects are written in Java and use Maven, therefore being very easy to refactor into a module-based project layout.
One requirement I had was that I wanted to retain the commit history. After looking at some solutions involving git’s submodule or subtree features, I found one that was fairly simple. The process couldn’t be simpler: you have to add the projects as remote to your new project and run a couple of commands to merge, move and commit the files.
Additionally, since my projects usually follow the same standard, it was quite simple to automate. After running the initial steps to configure the new (consolidated) repository, I was able to run the mass import using the following command line:
formodule in$(echo"project1 project2");dogit merge-m"Merged $module master for repository reorganization"$module/master;mkdir$module;(forfile in$(echo"README.md pom.xml src test");do[[-e$file]]&&git mv$file$module/;done);git status;git commit-m"UPD: moved $module old files from a separate repo to a separate module".;done
I was even able to import the old branches for each of the sub-components I wanted to merge.
Just sharing some messaging tools I have been working with recently.
The first one is this performance test tool: msg-perf-tool. There’s no secret here: you run the tool and it does its best to bring your messaging system to its knees (though this may not be the correct way how to test it … check the testing tips on the Github page). For now it supports only AMQP, but Stomp and MQTT support is on the way. You can find rpms for RHEL/Centos (6 and 7) and Fedora (22, 23 and 24) for i686 and x86_64 on my Copr profile here.
The second one is a web page that can display the performance data stored on an ElasticSearch database and present it in a beautiful way. I call it messaging performance center. Here’s how it looks like:
Some bits are still in progress, but it’s functional.
Lastly, there’s litestomp. A C implementation of the Simple (or Streaming) Text Oriented Messaging Protocol. It was built on top of what-seems-to-be the now defunct libstomp project. There’s a couple of bugfixes, a simpler and higher level API for ease of use. Still a work in progress, but you can download the current rpms for RHEL/Centos (6 and 7) and Fedora (22, 23 and 24) for i686 and x86_64 from my Copr project page on this link.